We pet owners think we know all there is to know about our dog's or cat's behaviors, but the truth is, many of the things we believe to be fact, are in reality just a myth!
A new poll conducted by pet food company Stella & Chewy's sought to find out which common pet-related myths are believed the most. Here's some of what they found:
- 68% of dog owners believe that tail wagging always signals happiness, but it can also signify interest and alertness.
- 38% believe that a cold, wet nose means a dog is healthy, but it can also just be wet as a result of a dog licking it to improve their sense of smell.
- 42% of cat owners believe their kitty can see in total darkness, but while they can see in very little light, they cannot see in total darkness.
- 41% believe that cats will always land on their feet when, in fact, it all depends on the feline's overall health and wellness.
- 29% believe cats enjoy drinking milk, but the truth is, many of them are lactose intolerant.
- 28% of dog owners believe feeding them homemade foods are healthier than store-bought, when in fact homemade foods likely lack the necessary nutrients. And 30% of cat owners believe that cats can't eat human foods, but there are some human foods that are perfectly safe for them.